Sunday, March 22, 2009

An Overheard Conversation

Last week I was witness to some parents giving the old birds and the bees talk to their ten-year-old son (give or take a year). I have to admit it kind of struck me as weird. Why? Because they were at a fine dining restaurant surrounded by other guests. They even had a book which they were reading questions from. I believe it was titled "How I was Created". I didn't pay much attention until I heard the mom ask, "Where did you come from? A) the stork, B) the grocery store or C) mommy's vagina. Okay, she might not have said that third one exactly, but I promise you that it was mentioned before they left - along with some other sexual terms.

Now, I have to give the parents credit for caring enough to teach their child about sex. These days it's important to talk about it before others do. Yet, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the boy. He definitely squirmed in his seat. Could you imagine your parents explaining sex to you in a public place? Here he probably thought he was just going out to eat with his parents and then BAM they surprise him with this. His dad asked him at one point if he had any questions. I thought to myself, "Hmmm, if I did have any questions I'm certainly not going to ask any. Not here anyways!"

Just so you know I couldn't help but overhear what they were saying. Since I was at work and they were in my section I had to pass by them often. At one point I had to clear and set the table right next to them just as they were explaining the ways our bodies change. I just about died. I seriously had to bite my lip to keep myself from laughing. The whole time I told myself, "Don't make eye contact. Act like you can't hear them." I could tell you more of what I overheard but I'll keep it to myself. It does make me wonder how we'll explain things to Sofía. Thank goodness we have some years before we have to decide.

Enjoy the pictures.

Sofía went through this stage of sticking out her tongue for about two weeks. Too cute.



Here's Sofía sporting the swimming diaper Steve Urkel style.


Future Olympic Ping Pong Champion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. I can't imagine my parents talking to me about it at home let alone in public!

I'm so glad to see that the family is happy.

alison said...

I wish you would have butted in and said "yes, I do have a question" and started asking away. I wanted to post a blog on the experience but never got around to it. I'm glad you did!